8365 W. 64th Ave.
Arvada, CO 80004
Wide experience in engineering / scientific software. Certified Software Quality Engineer. Have developed games. Have learned database design and management.
Languages: C#, C++, C, Java, SQL, Assembly Language, VB Script, HTML, XML, XSLT, BASIC, FORTRAN
Tools: .NET, Windows SDK, Swing, SOAP, OOA/D, Microsoft Borland and IBM Visual Development Environments, SourceSafe, Source Integrity, TestTrack, BoundsChecker, Lint (for C and C++), Clientele, CVS, evaluation boards for firmware development
Program Types: GUI, embedded firmware, commercial products and company-internal tools
Algorithms: least-squares adjustments, splines, compression, optimizations, graphics framework, equation solver, matrix operations, and arbitrary precision arithmetic
Leading edge expertise and innovations in land survey software, video compression, and contact lens design.
OptiFrame, Denver, CO 2007-present
· Maintained a large C# program for engineering wood-frame structures
Ferrell Companies, Denver, CO 2006-2007
· Converted large J++ product to C#
Masque Publishing, Lone Tree, CO 2005-2006
· Wrote a “Lobby” in Java with Swing for on-line games for AOL.
· Modified computer games to remove references to a brand name. Built installer, and QA’d programs.
· Wrote code to convert SVG graphics to a raster form.
· Built a computer version of a slot machine.
Trimble, Westminster, CO 1997-2005
· Specified and coded least-squares adjustments for surveying measurements, including a “general network” adjustment. Also coded storage for raw measurements (a hierarchical database).
· Improved theoretical understanding of when some matrices in a least-squares calculation are not invertible.
· Coded map projections.
· Did Windows GUI development.
· Taught C++ class.
· Ran code reviews.
· Developed a C# program to read data from a web service, output to an Excel, HTML, CSV, or text file, and graph and email the results.
· Scripted automated builds and tests.
Iterated Systems, Inc., Atlanta, GA 1993-1997
Developed and coded video compression algorithms. As a member of the engineering team,
· Coded components for the Clear Video and Fractal Video Pro products.
In the algorithm research group,
· Implemented algorithm experiments, and the code to analyze their performance.
In the international standards group
· Added many features to a movie viewer Windows (MFC) program.
Leica, Inc., Norcross, GA 1986-1993
· Authored prototype of "WILDsoft", for design feedback.
· Wrote the "field data compiler" section of "WILDsoft", including least squares adjustment of data.
· Wrote graphics primitives at the hardware register level.
Visiontech, Roswell, GA 1983-1986
Senior Systems Engineer
· Developed a contact lens design program. This included calculating and coding the slope form of Snell's law in the ray trace routines, which speeded their execution, and implementing an innovative method for solving simultaneous polynomial equations (reduce to second degree, write in matrix form, and use complete pivoting).
* Rewrote the firmware in a contact lens lathe.
Ciba Vision Care, Atlanta, GA 1982-1983
Senior Systems Analyst
· Calculated machine position for a bifocal contact lens machine. This involved solving a differential equation for a 3‑D surface.
Bausch and Lomb Inc., Rochester, NY 1980-1982
· Made computer model of fluid and ion flow through a contact lens. First prediction that the post‑lens tear layer is less than one micrometer. Optimized by computer modeling a process to make aspherical reflectors for the "Sidewinder" missile.
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 1979-1980
· Taught mathematics classes.
Alfred University, Alfred, NY 1978-1979
· Taught mathematics classes.
US Navy 1970-1976
Boeing-Vertol., Ridley Township, PA 1968
· Calculated vibration modes of helicopter blades.
· Had a security clearance.
Conway et. al., “Effects of Contact Lens Deformation on Tear Film Pressures Induced during Blinking”, American Journal of Optometry & Physiological Optics, Vol. 59 # 1
Dingman et. al., “Pollution Potential of Some New Hampshire Lakes”, Water Resources Research, Vol. 7 #5
Letter in TECH Specialist, July, 1991
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
Masters Degree in Mathematics 1975
Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics 1970
Database Management Systems Metropolitan State College of Denver 2006
Certified Software Quality Engineer ASQ 2002
C++ Certification The Learning Tree, Inc. 1997
Technical Leadership Class Fred Pryor Inc. 1996
American Mathematical Society